Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Week 6-Things 13/14/15

OK. I've given up on weekly blogs- it's been so busy. Thanksgiving has come and gone and Christmas is just two weeks away. I'm fitting my Web 2.0 explorations into a more realistic timeframe. Even though several weeks have gone by since my last post I will simply declare it week 6 and expound on things 13, 14, and 15. Tagging and the Del.icio.us bookmarking site are the first items on the agenda. Adding tags will simply categorize your info and help interested readers find your blogs. Knowing what tags to use is the key. Del.icio.us is a bookmarking site that will help you organize your bookmarks and which also features new sites of interest. I had opened a Del.icio.us account prior to this assignment but had never done much with it. It's a great organizational tool, and one of these days I'll transfer some of my many bookmarks into the site and use it more frequently. Honest. But right now the system I use on my computer works so well for me I haven't had time to change it over. Seriously though - it's a great site to know about and one of these days I'll find myself using it more. Technorati has become one of those bookmarks that I'll add to Del.icio.us someday. I found this site to be a great place to discover blogs of interest and to view breaking news stories. Another site to add to my growing list. The final task for this week was to read a few perspectives on Web 2.0. Several of them were already dated (from 2006). The Horizon Report of 2008 however was extremely informative. It spoke of current trends (grassroots video and collaboration webs, mobile broadband [one billion phones for 6 billion people!!] and data mashups. It also touched on coming trends - how technology is changing scholarship as we know it. It also proposed tha the gap between student and faculty understanding of technology is widening. Thus the need for endeavors such as this. Library 3.0 here we come!

1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

Hi Maureen

I know what you mean about the blogs getting out of control. I check mine about 3 times a week and often just read the summaries on my googleReader and even that is out of control. Sigh

I love Del.icio.us because it makes my links available from where ever I am (If I can remember the password and log in) and the tagging does help me find them. Usually:-)

When you get ready to transfer them, you can import them from your web browser so you don't have to do them one by one.

Glad you are still plugging away...I hope to get the issues with UAA settled here real soon.

Ann