Friday, April 10, 2009

Once Again - Thing 19.1 & 20

In my last post for Thing 19 I neglected to mention Alaska's Digital Pipeline. It's a great resource- I have it linked on my library webpage and I teach all my students how to access it. The Health teachers have found valuable sites using the Health link. The Teen Express section is a favorite of my middle school students (they love the Arctic snowmachine safety site). When introducing the Digital Pipeline I let them explore this section on their own after mentioning the math reference tables and teenreads.com. I also like to show them different web search tools (google Uncle Sam was popular during the election season). Also popular with the 6th graders are some of the sites they find on Kids' Stuff. I have them all bookmark this site on their first library visit. Hopefully the Digital Pipeliine will be available to Alaskans for the foreseeable future. The next exploration, Thing 20, is video sites. I actually have a YouTube account and have about 65 videos posted (I joined back in 2006 and have had quite a lot of fun making my little "vids"). TeacherTube posts educational videos. There are some wonderful little videos posted on this site. You could spend all day looking at videos (as long as you have a computer that will download them quickly- and don't download at school). These videos definitely have their place in the classroom. In fact after checking it this afternoon I was able to recommend a short video on the water cycle to one of our teachers who had just been in to find out what resources we had available. I also saw several cyberbullying videos that would be good to show to 6th and 7th graders. Our art teacher has also used videos from this site. Using short videos to make a point or introduce a subject, whether from TeacherTube or YouTube or some other video sharing site, can make all the difference.

3 comments:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

Wow, I'm impressed with the number of videos you have posted at Teacher Tube... I have used the videos but I haven't ever uploaded anything.

Excellent that you were able to immediately share something useful from Teacher Tube. .. The fact that it isn't blocked in our district is a big plus.

Ann

Mr. MOTORVATION said...

I like that the district has left teacher tube untouched. I also am a big fan of the digital pipeline. I am not quite a big a fan as our librarian who plugs it so often you'd think she works for them. It really is a great tool, primarily because when it comes to research, that's all you do when you use google, research, research, research . . .

Leslie Gale said...

I too am impressed with the amount of "vids" you have done. I am still discovering teacher tube. I would not have gone to it to find something on the water cycle. Thanks for the tip/idea.